We welcome submissions during our dedicated submission windows of March, June, September and December. We accept poetry, hybrid form work of up to 500 words. We also accept essays on poetics and reviews of around 2000 words.
Please read our submission guidelines as carefully as you would like us to read your work.
1. Submit up to 5 pieces to PoetryBirmingham@gmail.com as a single Word document of no more than 10 pages. Do not paste your work into the body of the email; it must be an attachment.
2. Formatting: Poems should be typed in 11pt Baskerville. Each poem should be titled, and separated from the next by a page break. Your name should appear in the header and page numbers in the footer. The filename should be your name as you wish it to appear in print.
3. Your submission email should include a short biography of up to 150 words written in the third person. And a condensed biography of no more than three or four sentences or lines, in the style of the journal. For example: “Fulana Fulani lives in Birmingham. Her most recent publication is Lovely Book (SmallPress, 2019). Her poems have appeared in Other Journal, And Another, and Finally This One.”
4. We use Chicago Notes and Bibliography for style and referencing, with single quotes, punctuation inside quotations for clauses/sentences, and double quotes for quotations within quotations.
5. We are looking for previously unpublished work that is original, well-crafted and intriguing. Simultaneous submissions are fine so long as you immediately withdraw your work from consideration elsewhere if it is accepted.
6. We welcome international submissions. However, all submissions must be in English and not translations of other writers’ works.
7. We have dedicated submission windows when you may submit your work to us. Please do not submit work outside of these windows as it will be discarded without consideration. Our submission windows coincide with our publication schedule.
8. We will not enter into discussion regarding work that is not accepted for publication but we wish you all the best in placing it elsewhere.
9. By submitting to Poetry Birmingham, you agree to grant us first serial rights and a 3-month period of exclusivity, after which we ask that you credit Poetry Birmingham as the first publisher if the piece is later published elsewhere. We retain the right to publish your submission in any subsequent digital & print issues or anthologies, and retain non-exclusive electronic archival rights. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer payment for publication.
10. We endeavour to respond to your submission within 8 weeks, but we are human so if you have not heard back from us during this time, please feel free to drop us an email: PoetryBirmingham@gmail.com.